Monday, April 14, 2014

Week 3

Hi everyone!  I didn't get to update last week because I was off to Canada!  Last week, I got a new district and I was the Sister training leader at the MTC.  I got so close to my girls and the last district came in.  I didn't realize how seriously I take missionary work until recently and apparently, I take being a leader seriously, too!  My motherly instincts came out!  I let those sisters know it was okay to not know things, like how the heck to teach with the Book of Mormon when you don't know for yourself how to use it?  Or why we go to church besides to renew our covenants and we are supposed too.  I really struggled with those small and simple things that I always did or didn't do.  How amazing it is that I know now that we can ask a question, pray for help and guidance and then find the answer in whatever chapter we are reading in the Book of Mormon!  Try it sometime!  Even though it's a bunch of stories, we can learn from those prophet's examples and even find the answer in their teachings. 

I also learned a deeper perspective of the Atonement.  How awesome it is that we have the opportunity to repent and start over every day.  Maybe work on looking at the good and not the bad.  If it's good, it's from God.  Something I've been struggling a lot with was my weaknesses.  When I don't feel like I can do something then why would I focus on that?  Why the heck would I ever think that?  I came across a scripture that helped me....Ether 12:27.  It says, "And if men come unto me, I will show them their weakness.  I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me and have faith in me, then I make weak things become strong unto them."  How awesome is it to know that we are given weaknesses to grow and learn from them?  So, what I learned, was to focus on my strengths and let everything else fall into place. 

 
 






Anyway, a week ago was my last night in the MTC.  The sisters all had a testimony meeting and we all learned so much from one another.  Each person taught everyone a valuable lesson.  I miss my zone so much!  We had to report at the travel office at 2:30 am.  Does anyone realize how funny it is to watch me pull, push and kick three huge suitcases, a duffle bag and another bag?  Cause let me tell you, that it's hilarious!  My companion didn't think it was very funny, but that's not the point!  When we got to the airport, I was in a group of non experienced flyers.  They looked like they had never seen such a place before.  I really enjoyed that.  Since I had so many things, I couldn't really manage to lead that pack.  So, I held up the back and laughed at them!!  On the first flight to Denver, I sat next to a newly returned missionary and he really helped to distract me from how I was really feeling.  I hadn't slept for about 50 hours at that point and I was pretty much alone.  The second flight was to Edmonton.  It was such a great feeling getting there.  We missionaries were the only people in that airport.  Oh and while we were traveling, we only had one Elder and five Sisters so people were asking if we were polygamists.  We had to go through a huge process to actually get through the airport.  Immigration took two hours because the lady in front of us kept making up stories as to why she's going to Canada.  I got my Visa and it goes to October 7th, 2015. 

My mission President welcomed us with his assistant missionaries.  They were way nice but we were way tired and wanted to sleep.  Don't worry, you can't catch up on sleep in the mission field!  That night we spent the night at the President's house.  He and his wife are so amazing!  I want to be just like Sister Manion one day!  Oh and the day we got there, we actually had to proselyte in the streets and do interviews!  Good times!  Back to the next day....I found out who my trainer was--Sister Tam.  She's from Hong Kong and she is so funny and quiet.  I make her talk all the time.  We have fun little games we do like changing the wallpaper on our phone to a mug shot of each other.  Like currently our wallpaper is of me sleeping!  I love it!  We never get bored.  I'm in the city, not that far from West Edmonton Mall.  I'm starting to get the lingo down here.  We are one of the very few missionaries in a walking area and bus area.  We have to bother people on the bus and hopefully save their salvation!  People are really friendly here or just try to pick up on the Sisters which actually scares me, but I am very much protected so it works out!

Sister Rexinger and Sister Tam



The first night with my trainer, we went to a member's house and they invited their close friend over.  It's safe to say, she is now a progressing investigator.  I love her so much!  Maureen is her name and I have so many good things to say.  In a journal entry I wrote last night, I wrote how she is family and how badly I want her to be happy.  She is beautiful and she's seeing how amazing the power of prayer is.  We will have our third lesson with her this week.  We have so much work to do here.  So many people with testimonies but are not willing to get baptized or go to church.  Church was amazing and the people are so friendly.  They  called me up in Sacrament meeting and asked me to bear my testimony which is something I don't do!  There are Elders in my ward with us, as well.  I am serving in a small ward. I'm so excited to change lives!  This is where I'm supposed to be.  I know this is the true church.  It's changing me more and more everyday.  Don't be afraid to change for the better!

Love always,
Sister Rexinger

No comments:

Post a Comment